Elementary Algebra is designed to meet the scope and sequence requirements of a one-semester elementary algebra course. The bookâ€™s organization makes it easy to adapt to a variety of course syllabi. The text expands on the fundamental concepts of algebra while addressing the needs of students with diverse backgrounds and learning styles. Each topic builds upon previously developed material to demonstrate the cohesiveness and structure of mathematics.
License: Creative Commons Attribution. This license is considered to be some to be the most open license since it is the least restrictive. It allows reuse, remixing, and distribution (including commercial), only requiring attribution. The content can be remixed into content of other license, but on the other hand it allows the remix to be put under a more restrictive license.
- PDF. A Portable Document Format (PDF) file is can be opened using the free Acrobat Reader. It is not an editable format.
- HTML. An HTML file is a web page document. It can be opened by any web browser. It is an editable format.
Openness Rating (0-4): 4
Openness Comments: The book is editable in the OpenStaxCNX platform.
- 1. Foundations
- Introduction to Whole Numbers
- 1.1. Use the Language of Algebra
- 1.2. Add and Subtract Integers
- 1.3. Multiply and Divide Integers
- 1.4. Visualize Fractions
- 1.5. Add and Subtract Fractions
- 1.6. Decimals
- 1.7. The Real Numbers
- 1.8. Properties of Real Numbers
- 1.9. Systems of Measurement
- 2. Solving Linear Equations and Inequalities
- 2.1. Solve Equations Using the Subtraction and Addition Properties of Equality
- 2.2. Solve Equations using the Division and Multiplication Properties of Equality
- 2.3. Solve Equations with Variables and Constants on Both Sides
- 2.4. Use a General Strategy to Solve Linear Equations
- 2.5. Solve Equations with Fractions or Decimals
- 2.6. Solve a Formula for a Specific Variable
- 2.7. Solve Linear Inequalities
- 3. Math Models
- 3.1. Use a Problem-Solving Strategy
- 3.2. Solve Percent Applications
- 3.3. Solve Mixture Applications
- 3.4. Solve Geometry Applications: Triangles, Rectangles, and the Pythagorean Theorem
- 3.5. Solve Uniform Motion Applications
- 3.6. Solve Applications with Linear Inequalities
- 4. Graphs
- 4.1. Use the Rectangular Coordinate System
- 4.2. Graph Linear Equations in Two Variables
- 4.3. Graph with Intercepts
- 4.4. Understand Slope of a Line
- 4.5. Use the Slopeâ€“Intercept Form of an Equation of a Line
- 4.6. Find the Equation of a Line
- 4.7. Graphs of Linear Inequalities
- 5. Systems of Linear Equations
- 5.1. Solve Systems of Equations by Graphing
- 5.2. Solve Systems of Equations by Substitution
- 5.3. Solve Systems of Equations by Elimination
- 5.4. Solve Applications with Systems of Equations
- 5.5. Solve Mixture Applications with Systems of Equations
- 5.6. Graphing Systems of Linear Inequalities
- 6. Polynomials
- 6.1. Add and Subtract Polynomials
- 6.2. Use Multiplication Properties of Exponents
- 6.3. Multiply Polynomials
- 6.4. Special Products
- 6.5. Divide Monomials
- 6.6. Divide Polynomials
- 6.7. Integer Exponents and Scientific Notation
- 7. Factoring
- 7.1. Greatest Common Factor and Factor by Grouping
- 7.2. Factor Quadratic Trinomials with Leading Coefficient 1
- 7.3. Factor Quadratic Trinomials with Leading Coefficient Other than 1
- 7.4. Factor Special Products
- 7.5. General Strategy for Factoring Polynomials
- 7.6. Quadratic Equations
- 8. Rational Expressions and Equations
- 8.1. Simplify Rational Expressions
- 8.2. Multiply and Divide Rational Expressions
- 8.3. Add and Subtract Rational Expressions with a Common Denominator
- 8.4. Add and Subtract Rational Expressions with Unlike Denominators
- 8.5. Simplify Complex Rational Expressions
- 8.6. Solve Rational Equations
- 8.7. Solve Proportion and Similar Figure Applications
- 8.8. Solve Uniform Motion and Work Applications
- 8.9. Use Direct and Inverse Variation
- 9. Roots and Radicals
- 9.1. Simplify and Use Square Roots
- 9.2. Simplify Square Roots
- 9.3. Add and Subtract Square Roots
- 9.4. Multiply Square Roots
- 9.5. Divide Square Roots
- 9.6. Solve Equations with Square Roots
- 9.7. Higher Roots
- 9.8. Rational Exponents
- 10. Quadratic Equations
- Introduction to Quadratic Equations
- 10.1. Solve Quadratic Equations Using the Square Root Property
- 10.2. Solve Quadratic Equations by Completing the Square
- 10.3. Solve Quadratic Equations Using the Quadratic Formula
- 10.4. Solve Applications Modeled by Quadratic Equations
- 10.5. Graphing Quadratic Equations
- MyOpenMath / Lumen OHM online homework. MyOpenMath is a free online homework system, built on the open source IMathAS assessment platform.
It provides randomized, algorithmically generated homework with automated grading of numerical and algebraic answers, similar to WebAssign and MyMathLab.
It also provides a course management system with gradebook, file posting, discussion forums, etc.
Assessment sets have been created for this textbook, which may be available for self-study by students, or can copied as a starter course shell by faculty.
MyOpenMath use is free with community support through forums. For Washington State faculty, the WAMAP.org site also mirrors this content.
Lumen OHM is a commercial alternative to MyOpenMath that provides support for faculty and large scale adoption and administration, service level agreements, and additional curated course bundles.
- xyzHomework.com online homework. xyzHomework.com is a commercial online homework site that provides randomized homework custom-built content for OpenStax books and mirrors some of the content from MyOpenMath. They provide support and access to additional content.
- WebAssign online homework. WebAssign is a commercial online homework system. It provides randomized homework custom-built to align with textbooks. Question sets have been created for this textbook which can be built into assessment sets by faculty. They provide support.
- CourseWare package. Courseware packages typically include a course structure with syllabus, some form of homework assignments, and some type of assessments. They may also include: videos, lecture notes, handouts, worksheets, quizzes, etc. See comments below for details
Notes: There are PowerPoint slides and various other instructor resources available from OpenStax. This book is available for bookstore purchase at wholesale - see the Home link above. There are additional commercial homework options available.