Precalculus / Trigonometry 3rd Edition
The second half of a two part series in precalculus, covering trigonometry. This text takes a "functions first" approach, introducing the idea of a function early. Then as each class of functions is introduced, equations, inequalities, and applications involving functions in that class are discussed. The material is presented at a level to prepare the student for calculus an well as give them relevant mathematics which can be used in other classes as well. Graphing utilities are used sparingly to enhance the mathematics. The exercise sets were intentionally kept smaller to cover all the necessary skills and get the students thinking more deeply about the mathematics involved.
License: Creative Commons Attribution Sharealike Noncommercial. This license is very open. It allows reuse, remixing, and distribution, but prohibits commercial use and requires any remixes use the same license as the original. This limits where the content can be remixed into, but on the other hand ensures that no-one can remix the content then put the remix under a more restrictive license. The non-commercial clause can make getting printed copies of remixes challenging depending upon how strictly the authors interpret the clause.
- PDF. A Portable Document Format (PDF) file is can be opened using the free Acrobat Reader. It is not an editable format.
- TeX. A TeX file use the TeX or LaTeX typesetting engine. TeX software is available free for most platforms. It is an editable format
Openness Rating (0-4): 3
Openness Comments: Besides the non-commercial restriction, the use of MetaPost with TeX makes compiling the text after changes a non-trivial task. The authors have tried to help with this by posting how-to videos.
- Chapter 10: Foundations of Trigonometry
- 10.1 Angles and their Measure
- 10.2 The Unit Circle: Cosine and Sine
- 10.3 The Six Circular Functions and Fundamental Identities
- 10.4 Trigonometric Identities
- 10.5 Graphs of the Trigonometric Functions
- 10.6 The Inverse Trigonometric Functions
- 10.7 Trigonometric Equations and Inequalities
- Chapter 11: Applications of Trigonometry
- 11.1 Applications of Sinusoids
- 11.2 The Law of Sines
- 11.3 The Law of Cosines
- 11.4 Polar Coordinates
- 11.5 Graphs of Polar Equations
- 11.6 Hooked on Conics Again
- 11.7 Polar Form of Complex Numbers
- 11.8 Vectors
- 11.9 The Dot Product and Projection
- 11.10 Parametric Equations
- WebAssign online homework. WebAssign is a commercial online homework system. It provides randomized, algorithmically generated homework with automated grading of numerical and algebraic answers, similar to MyOpenMath. Question sets have been created for this textbook which can be built into assessment sets by faculty. They provide support, and charge about $25/student.
- Videos. See the comments below for details.
Notes: Powerpoint slides are available on the book website, along with checkpoint quizzes and video solutions to the quizzes.