A clear, methodical approach to topics in prealgebra, with good explanations of concepts. This book includes plenty of examples and then exercises. Equation solving is started earlier and used throughout.
Geometric topics (e.g., area and perimeter) are presented throughout the text so students might actually remember them. The applications (word problems) are mostly realistic, and the applications are spread throughout the text, not isolated in a few sections.
- PDF. A Portable Document Format (PDF) file is can be opened using the free Acrobat Reader. It is not an editable format.
- 1 The Whole Numbers
- 1.1 An Introduction to the Whole Numbers
- 1.2 Adding and Subtracting Whole Numbers
- 1.3 Multiplication and Division of Whole Numbers
- 1.4 Prime Factorization
- 1.5 Order of Operations
- 1.6 Solving Equations by Addition and Subtraction
- 1.7 Solving Equations by Multiplication and Division
- 2 The Integers
- 2.1 An Introduction to the Integers
- 2.2 Adding Integers
- 2.3 Subtracting Integers
- 2.4 Multiplication and Division of Integers
- 2.5 Order of Operations with Integers
- 2.6 Solving Equations Involving Integers
- 3 The Fundamentals of Algebra
- 3.1 Mathematical Expressions
- 3.2 Evaluating Algebraic Expressions
- 3.3 Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
- 3.4 Combining Like Terms
- 3.5 Solving Equations Involving Integers II
- 3.6 Applications
- 4 Fractions
- 4.1 Equivalent Fractions
- 4.2 Multiplying Fractions
- 4.3 Dividing Fractions
- 4.4 Adding and Subtracting Fractions
- 4.5 Multiplying and Dividing Mixed Fractions
- 4.6 Adding and Subtracting Mixed Fractions
- 4.7 Order of Operations with Fractions
- 4.8 Solving Equations with Fractions
- 5 Decimals
- 5.1 Introduction to Decimals
- 5.2 Adding and Subtracting Decimals
- 5.3 Multiplying Decimals
- 5.4 Dividing Decimals
- 5.5 Fractions and Decimals
- 5.6 Equations With Decimals
- 5.7 Introduction to Square Roots
- 5.8 The Pythagorean Theorem
- 6 Ratio and Proportion
- 6.1 Introduction to Ratios and Rates
- 6.2 Introduction to Proportion
- 6.3 Unit Conversion: American System
- 6.4 Unit Conversion: Metric System
- 6.5 American Units to Metric Units and Vice-Versa
- 7 Percent
- 7.1 Percent, Decimals, Fractions
- 7.2 Solving Basic Percent Problems
- 7.3 General Applications of Percent
- 7.4 Percent Increase or Decrease
- 7.5 Interest
- 7.6 Pie Charts
- 8 Graphing
- 8.1 The Cartesian Coordinate System
- 8.2 Graphing Linear Equations
- Student Solutions Manual. Worked out solutions for selected exercises
- MyOpenMath / Lumen OHM online homework. MyOpenMath is a free online homework system, built on the open source IMathAS assessment platform.
It provides randomized, algorithmically generated homework with automated grading of numerical and algebraic answers, similar to WebAssign and MyMathLab.
It also provides a course management system with gradebook, file posting, discussion forums, etc.
Assessment sets have been created for this textbook, which may be available for self-study by students, or can copied as a starter course shell by faculty.
MyOpenMath use is free with community support through forums. For Washington State faculty, the WAMAP.org site also mirrors this content.
Lumen OHM is a commercial alternative to MyOpenMath that provides support for faculty and large scale adoption and administration, service level agreements, and additional curated course bundles.
- Videos. See the comments below for details.
There is a MyOpenMath starter course that includes video lessons for each section of the text along with online homework. The solutions manual is available on the book's home page (see link above).
There is also a self-study course based on this text available on MyOpenMath for students studying on their own.