Basic Arithmetic Workbook
This workbook was created through the efforts of three instructors at Scottsdale Community College in Scottsdale, Arizona, has been used by thousands of students, and is continually improved. This workbook contains have lessons that were carefully and thoughtfully crafted to lead students on a path to understanding numbers and arithmetic.
Each lesson is broken into four parts, which an instructor can use some or all of:
- A Minilesson, in a workbook format, which can either be worked through in-class via lecture or groupwork, or through video lessons available on the Scottsdale Math blog or inside MyOpenMath.
- Practice problems
- A short assessment
- Online homework in MyOpenMath
The printed version of the workbook is available in looseleaf from the printing company listed to above; contact them for pricing and ordering information
- DOC. A DOC file can be opened using Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.org. It is an editable format
- PDF. A Portable Document Format (PDF) file is can be opened using the free Acrobat Reader. It is not an editable format.
- Lesson 1 - Whole Numbers
- Lesson 2 - Introduction to Fractions
- Lesson 3 - Fraction Addition & Subtraction
- Lesson 4 - Fraction Multiplication & Division
- Lesson 5 - Decimals
- Lesson 6 - Percents
- Lesson 7 - Ratios, Rates & Proportion
- Lesson 8 - Statistics
- Lesson 9 - Units & Conversions
- Lesson 10 - Geometry I: Perimeter & Area
- Lesson 11 - Geometry II: Volume and Triangles
- Lesson 12 - Signed Numbers
- MyOpenMath / Lumen OHM online homework. MyOpenMath is a free online homework system, built on the open source IMathAS assessment platform.
It provides randomized, algorithmically generated homework with automated grading of numerical and algebraic answers, similar to WebAssign and MyMathLab.
It also provides a course management system with gradebook, file posting, discussion forums, etc.
Assessment sets have been created for this textbook, which may be available for self-study by students, or can copied as a starter course shell by faculty.
MyOpenMath use is free with community support through forums. For Washington State faculty, the WAMAP.org site also mirrors this content.
Lumen OHM is a commercial alternative to MyOpenMath that provides support for faculty and large scale adoption and administration, service level agreements, and additional curated course bundles.
- Videos. See the comments below for details.
- CourseWare package. Courseware packages typically include a course structure with syllabus, some form of homework assignments, and some type of assessments. They may also include: videos, lecture notes, handouts, worksheets, quizzes, etc. See comments below for details