An openly licensed applied calculus textbook, covering derivatives, integrals, and an intro to multivariable calculus. This book is heavily remixed from Dale Hoffman's Contemporary Calculus textbook, and retains the same conceptual focus from that text.
License: Creative Commons Attribution. This license is considered to be some to be the most open license since it is the least restrictive. It allows reuse, remixing, and distribution (including commercial), only requiring attribution. The content can be remixed into content of other license, but on the other hand it allows the remix to be put under a more restrictive license.
- DOC. A DOC file can be opened using Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.org. It is an editable format
- PDF. A Portable Document Format (PDF) file is can be opened using the free Acrobat Reader. It is not an editable format.
Openness Rating (0-4): 4
Openness Comments: This book is under the most permissive license, and is easily editable in the Word format.
- Chapter 1: Review
- Section 1: Functions
- Section 2: Operations on Functions
- Section 3: Linear Functions
- Section 4: Exponents
- Section 5: Quadratics
- Section 6: Polynomials and Rational Functions
- Section 7: Exponential Functions
- Section 8: Logarithmic Functions
- Chapter 2: The Derivative
- Section 1: Limits and Continuity
- Section 2: The Derivative
- Section 3: Power and Sum Rules for Derivatives
- Section 4: Product and Quotient Rules
- Section 5: Chain Rule
- Section 6: Second Derivative and Concavity
- Section 7: Optimization
- Section 8: Curve Sketching
- Section 9: Applied Optimization
- Section 10: Other Applications
- Section 11: Implicit Differentiation and Related Rates
- Chapter 3: The Integral
- Section 1: The Definite Integral
- Section 2: The Fundamental Theorem and Antidifferentiation
- Section 3: Antiderivatives of Formulas
- Section 4: Substitution
- Section 5: Additional Integration Techniques
- Section 6: Area, Volume, and Average Value
- Section 7: Applications to Business
- Section 8: Differential Equations
- Chapter 4: Functions of Two Variables
- Section 1: Functions of Two Variables
- Section 2: Calculus of Functions of Two Variables
- Section 3: Optimization
- Table of Integrals
- MyOpenMath online homework. MyOpenMath is a free online homework system, built on the open source IMathAS assessment platform. It provides randomized, algorithmically generated homework with automated grading of numerical and algebraic answers, similar to WebAssign and MyMathLab. It also provides a course management system with gradebook, file posting, discussion forums, etc. Assessment sets have been created for this textbook, which may be available for self-study by students, or can copied as a starter course shell by faculty.
MyOpenMath use is a provided free by Lumen Learning. Community support may be available through faculty support forums. For direct support, course development and support service contracts are available from Lumen.
For Washington State faculty, the WAMAP.org site also mirrors this content.
- Videos. See the comments below for details.
- CourseWare package. Courseware packages typically include a course structure with syllabus, some form of homework assignments, and some type of assessments. They may also include: videos, lecture notes, handouts, worksheets, quizzes, etc. See comments below for details
Notes: The MyOpenMath course pack includes overview videos and online homework. There are also links to additional resources produced by Shana Calaway.