Arithmetic for College Students
This book is a course on arithmetic designed for college students. It covers whole numbers, fractions, decimals, percents, ratios and proportions, measurement, and integers. Geometry and statistics are integrated throughout the text rather than covered in independent sections. The textbook does not include exercises. Instead, a collection of handouts/worksheets is available, as well as online homework.
License: Creative Commons Attribution. This license is considered to be some to be the most open license since it is the least restrictive. It allows reuse, remixing, and distribution (including commercial), only requiring attribution. The content can be remixed into content of other license, but on the other hand it allows the remix to be put under a more restrictive license.
- DOC. A DOC file can be opened using Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.org. It is an editable format
- PDF. A Portable Document Format (PDF) file is can be opened using the free Acrobat Reader. It is not an editable format.
Openness Rating (0-4): 4
Openness Comments: Licensed under the most permissive license, and available in Word format. The only editing challenge is the odd layout using tables the original authors used.
- 1.1 Place Value, Rounding, and Comparing Whole Numbers
- 1.1.1 Place Value and Names for Whole Numbers
- 1.1.2 Rounding Whole Numbers
- 1.1.3 Comparing Whole Numbers
- 1.2 Adding and Subtracting Whole Numbers
- 1.2.1 Adding Whole Numbers and Applications
- 1.2.2 Subtracting Whole Numbers and Applications
- 1.2.3 Estimation
- 1.3 Multiplying Whole Numbers and Area
- 1.3.1 Multiplying Whole Numbers and Applications
- 1.3.2 Areas of Rectangles
- 1.4 Dividing Whole Numbers and Applications
- 1.5 Exponents, Roots, and Order of Operations
- 1.5.1 Understanding Exponents and Square Roots
- 1.5.2 Order of Operations
- 1.6 Basic Statistics
- 1.6.1 Graphing Data
- 1.6.2 Measures of Center
- 1.7 Areas and Perimeters of Quadrilaterals
- 1.8 Properties of Numbers
- 1.8.1 Properties and Laws of Whole Numbers
- 1.8.2 The Distributive Property
- 2.1 Intro to Fractions
- 2.1.1 Introduction to Fractions and Mixed Numbers
- 2.1.2 Proper and Improper Fractions
- 2.2 Simplifying Fractions
- 2.2.1 Factors and Primes
- 2.2.2 Simplifying Fractions
- 2.2.3 Comparing Fractions
- 2.3 Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
- 2.4 Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
- 2.5 Adding and Subtracting Fractions and Mixed Numbers with Like Denominators
- 2.6 Adding and Subtracting Fractions and Mixed Numbers with Unlike Denominators
- 3.1 Intro to Decimals
- 3.1.1 Decimals and Fractions
- 3.1.2 Ordering and Rounding Decimals
- 3.2 Adding and Subtracting Decimals
- 3.3 Multiplying and Dividing Decimals
- 3.3.1 Multiplying Decimals
- 3.3.2 Dividing Decimals
- 3.3.3 Estimation with Decimals
- 3.4 Intro to Percents
- 3.4.1 Convert Percents, Decimals, and Fractions
- 3.4.2 Finding a Percent of a Whole
- 3.5 Solving Percent Problems
- 3.6 Percent Applications
- 3.6.1 Solving Percent Applications
- 3.6.2 Circle Graphs (Pie Charts)
- 4.1 Ratios and Rates
- 4.2 Proportions
- 4.3 Volumes of Solids
- 4.4 U.S. Measurement
- 4.4.1 U.S. Measurement - Length
- 4.4.2 U.S. Measurement - Weight
- 4.4.3 U.S. Measurement - Capacity
- 4.5 Metric Measurement
- 4.5.1 The Metric System
- 4.5.2 Using Metric Conversions to Solve Problems
- 4.6 Temperature Scales
- 5.1 Integers and Real Numbers
- 5.1.1 Integers
- 5.1.2 Rational and Real Numbers
- 5.2 Adding and Subtracting Integers and Real Numbers
- 5.2.1 Adding Integers
- 5.2.2 Adding Real Numbers
- 5.2.3 Subtracting Real Numbers
- 5.3 Multiplying and Dividing Real Numbers
- 5.4 Order of Operations with Real Numbers
- 5.5 Intro to Variables
- 5.5.1 Variables and Expressions
- 5.5.2 Associative, Commutative, and Distributive Properties
- MyOpenMath / Lumen OHM online homework. MyOpenMath is a free online homework system, built on the open source IMathAS assessment platform.
It provides randomized, algorithmically generated homework with automated grading of numerical and algebraic answers, similar to WebAssign and MyMathLab.
It also provides a course management system with gradebook, file posting, discussion forums, etc.
Assessment sets have been created for this textbook, which may be available for self-study by students, or can copied as a starter course shell by faculty.
MyOpenMath use is free with community support through forums. For Washington State faculty, the WAMAP.org site also mirrors this content.
Lumen OHM is a commercial alternative to MyOpenMath that provides support for faculty and large scale adoption and administration, service level agreements, and additional curated course bundles.
- Videos. See the comments below for details.
- CourseWare package. Courseware packages typically include a course structure with syllabus, some form of homework assignments, and some type of assessments. They may also include: videos, lecture notes, handouts, worksheets, quizzes, etc. See comments below for details